1.25.2007

Nacho Average Nachos

This is a delicious alternative to the party nacho platter. It also makes a great, very filling meal.

Here's what I use:

Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP)
Barbeque Sauce
Soy Sauce
Moosehead Lager
Salsa
Garlic
Green Pepper
Jalapeno Pepper
Onion
Mushrooms
Tortilla Chips

To start off, you need to rehydrate the TVP. Make a mix of barbeque, soy sauce, salsa, water and any acidic liquid (cooking vinegar, beer, wine, apple juice). The acid is just to help the TVP absorb all of the flavour. I make the mix just over half Bbq sauce. Make the same amount of mix as you use TVP. 1 cup is plenty.

Cook this in some oil and add your vegetables. Obviously the amount here is to your discretion. Once the veggies are cooked you can throw it on top of your nacho chips. I layer my plate as follows: Chips, topping, chips, topping. Then I top with vegan cheese and melt it in the microwave or toaster oven quickly. (I didn't have any in the fridge today.)

Note: If this isn't obvious, don't add Jalapenos if you don't like it hot. If you do use them, make sure not to touch your eyes before you wash your hands thoroughly. This advice stems from personal experience. I used two peppers and it blew my taste buds away. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Heather said...

I have encountered many meat-eaters and vegetarians alike who are intimidated by TVP (mmm, the tastiness potential). This is a delicious sounding use for TVP, which I shall most certainly try.

m said...

wow, you totally inspired my dinner tonight

Migrant Programmer said...

Moosehead. Are you from the Maritimes?