1.31.2007

Hell-Bent Bean Burgers

You might think that this is a lot of work for a couple of burgers, but trust me when I say that this isn't your average veggie burger.


Mix 1cup of TVP (see Nacho Average Nachos), a teaspoon of tomato paste and slightly less the 1 cup of boiling water. Let this sit for 10 minutes while you mix the rest of the ingredients.

can of pinto beans, drained
1/4 cup of bread crumbs
2-3 cloves of garlic
oregano
splash of soy sauce
touch of tahini

Add this to the blender so that it looks like this.




Add the TVP mix and blend until it looks like this.







Now for the tricky part. I suggest using a spoon or spatula to get this mix out because it is very sticky. Place your burger shaped blobs onto flour covered wax paper, covering the burgers in flour and more wax paper again. Use a lot of flour. Let them sit in the fridge for at least an hour.

Cook these in aluminum foil and cover them in more flour before cooking them. Use lots of flour. I cooked mine in the toaster oven, but if it wasn't a snowy blizzard outside I would have barbequed them. It took about half an hour.

Don't make this recipe if you're expecting a fast food veggie burger. This is a very soft burger and is probably not what you're expecting but it was extremely satisfying. I garnished my burgers with red onion, tomato, romaine lettuce, barbeque sauce and roasted red pepper hummus but you can put on whatever toppings tickle your fancy. I made a spinach, orange, apple and pear salad to go on the side. It would eat well with an orange or balsamic vinegarette.

Oh yeah, use lots of flour.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Jess said...

You ate 4 burgers? Really? (This doesn't surprise me, but it still surprises me.)

Sarah said...

Falafel recipe?

Heather said...

I'm really excited to make this bad boy, and I respect that your cooking powers are matched by eating powers.