2.11.2007

Feel Good Falafels

This is so ridiculously easy that I a)don't even know if I should be posting it as a recipe and b) don't at all feel good about having wasted so much money in the past on fast food falafels.

You can buy falafel mix either in the box or in bulk. Mix about half a cup of water for every cup of mix. 1 cup of mix makes about 6-8 falafel patties. Mix together periodically while letting it mix and settle for about 10 minutes. Use a spoon to shape your new batter into appropriately sized balls and drop into oil deep enough to cover half of the patty. I use a wok, but you can use whatever suits you best. Try to use as small a pan as possible so that you aren't wasting a lot of oil. Make sure the oil is already hot, heated at a medium-high level. Flip your falafels once, once they look brown enough for your satisfaction.


As you can see I ate my falafel with tomato (diced for maximum pleasure), boston (or butter) lettuce, although I recommend romaine and sauteed red onion and portobello mushrooms. I also recommend turnip as a staple in most falafels, but I didn't have any today. I also prefer my falafel with hummus, which I am also out of. Other delicious additions could include a variety of peppers, olives, tzatziki and even pineapple. Be creative and enjoy!

5 comments:

Sarah said...

I know I should use a better word to convey my excitement, but I can't, so: AWESOME!

Heather said...

If I could drunkenly stumble from the bar to your house to get my early morning falafel fix, I would. If I could drunkenly create my own falafel without risking severe oil burns, I would. hmm... Perhaps I should start planning ahead before I go out. In any matter: Delicious.

Sarah said...

Heather we drink together and stumble to Dodd's? Brilliant plan!

Heather said...

It's a deal

Sarah said...

Dear Mr. Dodd,

It has recently come to my attention that you work at Planet Organic. They have wicked salads. Steal their recipes!!! The morrocan couscous, spinach poppyseed and pasta, and the medeterainian lentil would be lovely. I'll trade you a black bean and couscous salad recipe. :)

Most sincerely,
Organic Salad Freak